matt's blog

Friday, March 09, 2007

The "Tomb of Jesus"

I've read a lot of articles about James Cameron's documentary on the supposed tomb of Jesus.

None of them - especially those that feature commentary by any actual archaeologists - really agree with Cameron. I give this article [tvweek.com] five stars, however, for inventing the word "archeo-porn" to describe Cameron's latest work.

My other favorite quote is from an article on National Review Online:
“I think it’s the biggest archaeological story of the century,” Cameron has said of this current project. “It’s absolutely not a publicity stunt.”

No, of course not. That’s why its wild assertions are scheduled for unveiling on a breathless television program rather than in a scholarly journal. We all know that genuine publicity hounds would risk eternal hellfire for the chance to submit an academic paper to a low-circulation quarterly that’s peer reviewed by professional archaeologists and scientists. Television is for losers, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home