Happy Saint Urho's Day!
Today, we of Finnish descent remember the great, honorable, and wholly imaginary deeds of a man who never actually existed - Saint Urho.
As legend has it, grasshoppers were threatening Finland's grapes, so Saint Urho chased them away. If he hadn't done that, the descendents of those Finns wouldn't have had any wine to drink, and they wouldn't have been able to get hammered enough to come up with this story.
To this day, Finland enjoys critical shortages of several grasshopper species. Three cheers for Urho!
As legend has it, grasshoppers were threatening Finland's grapes, so Saint Urho chased them away. If he hadn't done that, the descendents of those Finns wouldn't have had any wine to drink, and they wouldn't have been able to get hammered enough to come up with this story.
To this day, Finland enjoys critical shortages of several grasshopper species. Three cheers for Urho!

1 Comments:
As it says in Ruth,"your people will be my people," so I guess I have to acknowledge St. Urho's Day as well (though I don't have to pretend that it's factual).
About tomorrow, though - I am going to wear red and white along with my green, as a reminder that St. Patrick was actually a real person. See, the real St. Patrick wasn't even Irish, but Scottish and ITALIAN.
By
Anonymous, at 9:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home