More on condoms
Everyone's favorite topic, I'm sure.
News outlets across the planet are in an uproar about a recent statement from a Vatican official about the possibility of making the Church's position on condoms, used within marriage to prevent the spread of AIDS, "more flexible."
It's not clear whether Cardinal Barragán, who made this statement, was misquoted, misunderstood, or just plain confused. The only thing that the Cardinal promised (or should have promised, anyway - since the study is not complete) was that the Pontifical Council for Health would examine the issue.
I will submit to the judgment of the Church, but at this point, I have difficulty seeing the wisdom of allowing condom use. The "lesser of two evils" argument only makes sense when there isn't a third, non-evil option - abstinence. Sex is required to create life. It is not required to live life.
In the meantime, American Papist has the best roundup I've seen of this issue. In particular, read the clarifying remarks of Msgr. Antonio Soto Guerrero.
News outlets across the planet are in an uproar about a recent statement from a Vatican official about the possibility of making the Church's position on condoms, used within marriage to prevent the spread of AIDS, "more flexible."
It's not clear whether Cardinal Barragán, who made this statement, was misquoted, misunderstood, or just plain confused. The only thing that the Cardinal promised (or should have promised, anyway - since the study is not complete) was that the Pontifical Council for Health would examine the issue.
I will submit to the judgment of the Church, but at this point, I have difficulty seeing the wisdom of allowing condom use. The "lesser of two evils" argument only makes sense when there isn't a third, non-evil option - abstinence. Sex is required to create life. It is not required to live life.
In the meantime, American Papist has the best roundup I've seen of this issue. In particular, read the clarifying remarks of Msgr. Antonio Soto Guerrero.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home