matt's blog

Thursday, May 18, 2006

The things you learn from Glenn Beck

Honestly, I didn't even know there was a channel called "Headline News" until a couple weeks ago, when I heard that Glenn Beck was going to be on it. I'm trying to watch it while I can - his own staff thinks he'll only last another week or so.

Anyway, there's the conventional wisdom out there that when you're running away from an alligator that you should run in a zig-zag pattern, because alligators can't get up to speed when they're changing direction all the time.

According to a guest on Glenn's program, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, this is not true.

Most crocodiles can't outrun a human being, so a straight line is the fastest way to get away from it.

Furthermore, their bodies aren't well-suited to sustained running on land, and they tend to rely on surprise, not stamina, to catch their prey. They accelerate rather quickly, but can't sustain their top speed for more than twenty or thirty meters.

1 Comments:

  • OK...I've learned enough from Glenn Beck...I want to learn something from Matthew Steven Orn...educate me...AKA: post something new and interesting :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home