matt's blog

Monday, June 12, 2006

"Jack Catholics"

I was flying out to Salt Lake City, and a man was sitting next to me reading a Mormon book. He was very well dressed, a proper-looking gentleman. He ordered a Scotch on the rocks for lunch, which is a no-no if you're a Mormon. Someone once told me that these people are called "Jack Mormons." It's an interesting phrase. We ought to borrow it, because there are a lot of "Jack Catholics" around. No one lives the Christian life perfectly. This world is filled with absurdities - the world of believers and unbelievers at the same time. In my life I've known dumb Jesuits, confused Dominicans, proud Capuchins, rich Franciscans, and Salesians who can't stand small children. I've known merciless Sisters of Mercy and uncharitable Missionaries of Charity and foolish Daughters of Wisdom. I am, regrettably, a Franciscan of the Renewal who has a long way to go before becoming renewed. Someone asked me one day, "What's so renewed about you?" I had no answer. Go visit Rome. They say it's a city where Communists pray and prelates don't. Everything in this world is a bit messed up, and often it is far better to laugh than to cry. When you have life figured out, you can be sure that you are overlooking some important pieces of the puzzle. Life is mysterious.

-Arise from Darkness, Father Benedict Groeschel, CFR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home