Some thoughts
1. Being a dad, in some ways, isn't as hard as I thought it would be. Right now, it means my evenings are pretty well packed, but it's clear now that over time, it'll mean that I still get free time - I just don't get to choose when it is. So if I want to keep reading, or doing other things of personal interest, I just have to be disciplined about making sure I use my free time for them, instead of browsing around on YouTube.
2. Every time I see a story about "we're close to finding life on another planet" I can only help but think of the maxim that if you look hard enough for something, you'll find it. For instance, there's this article.
For my part, I don't really understand the fuss about finding life elsewhere, and I especially don't understand the notion that if we find it, this somehow disproves what the Bible says about creation. Since the Bible doesn't say much of anything about the possibility of other planets that contain life, there really isn't any room for it to be proven wrong. Furthermore, even if we find some other living things, they'll still be absolutely subject to the Lord of All Creation.
3. I'm a pretty big fan of Pope Benedict's new moto proprio Summorum Pontificum. (And for the record, I was quite right in my prediction about the use of the phrase "turn back the clock.") Even if this is were an accurate way of characterizing this document, I would argue that if you're on a road that leads to disaster, going backwards can be a pretty good idea.
The document basically clarifies that the old-school Latin Mass of 1963 and the current (1970) form of the Mass are different, but equally worthy, ways to remember the command of Jesus, "Do this in memory of me." For the most part, it puts the power to choose between these two options into the hands of laypeople - thus, the argument that this new development is somehow contrary to the Second Vatican Council, which spent a great deal of time putting more power into the hands of laypeople, is utterly ridiculous.
4. I found an interesting article on the cheapest day of the week to buy certain items. I haven't verified any of these ideas, but they make sense.
I'd better end this here, before Liana gets fussy again - I'm staying home today, hoping that Jayme will be able to catch up on some sleep.
2. Every time I see a story about "we're close to finding life on another planet" I can only help but think of the maxim that if you look hard enough for something, you'll find it. For instance, there's this article.
For my part, I don't really understand the fuss about finding life elsewhere, and I especially don't understand the notion that if we find it, this somehow disproves what the Bible says about creation. Since the Bible doesn't say much of anything about the possibility of other planets that contain life, there really isn't any room for it to be proven wrong. Furthermore, even if we find some other living things, they'll still be absolutely subject to the Lord of All Creation.
3. I'm a pretty big fan of Pope Benedict's new moto proprio Summorum Pontificum. (And for the record, I was quite right in my prediction about the use of the phrase "turn back the clock.") Even if this is were an accurate way of characterizing this document, I would argue that if you're on a road that leads to disaster, going backwards can be a pretty good idea.
The document basically clarifies that the old-school Latin Mass of 1963 and the current (1970) form of the Mass are different, but equally worthy, ways to remember the command of Jesus, "Do this in memory of me." For the most part, it puts the power to choose between these two options into the hands of laypeople - thus, the argument that this new development is somehow contrary to the Second Vatican Council, which spent a great deal of time putting more power into the hands of laypeople, is utterly ridiculous.
4. I found an interesting article on the cheapest day of the week to buy certain items. I haven't verified any of these ideas, but they make sense.
I'd better end this here, before Liana gets fussy again - I'm staying home today, hoping that Jayme will be able to catch up on some sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home